The Town of Dudley lies between the French and Quinebaug Rivers, just north of the Connecticut border. In 1732 it became the first town incorporated in the new Worcester County. Dudley Hill, the town’s geographical center, became the site for Colonial Period settlements. In 1816 Amasa Nichols established Nichols Academy, now Nichols College, known for its comprehensive business curriculum and “home” to 1,200 undergraduates.  The Hill’s dozens of historic buildings include examples of Colonial, Federal, Greek Revival, and Victorian Eclectic architectural styles. Notable structures include the William Carter House (1726), the Grange Hall (1840) and the Black Tavern (1803), listed on the National Register.