Worcester Regional Airport acts as a transportation nucleus for Central Mass. and the surrounding regions. Major airlines like Delta, JetBlue and American Airlines all host regular flights, in and out, for those those travelers looking for an efficient alternative to the busier hub that is Boston Logan International. Here’s a look into each airline’s current flight offerings:
August: JetBlue resumed daily nonstop flights to New York (via JFK International Airport).
Oct. 21: JetBlue resumes daily nonstop flights to Fort Lauderdale and adds an additional flight service to New York (via JFK).
Nov. 1 and Nov. 2, respectively: Delta resumes daily nonstop flights to New York (via LaGuardia Airport) and American Airlines resumes service to Philadelphia.
As far as current COVID guidelines go, according to CDC and TSA: All passengers, both international and domestic, must wear a face covering while traveling in airports and on public and private transportation systems.
For those who prefer to travel by rail, the MBTA Framingham/Worcester Commuter Rail is available via Union Station, running west from Boston to Worcester through the MetroWest region. The 17 station stops include Boston, Newton, Wellesley, Natick, Framingham, Ashland, Southborough, Westborough, Grafton and Worcester.
Amtrak provides a daily train service to and from Albany, Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C. from Worcester’s Union Station.
Buses & Automobiles
The MBTA also offers bus services via Worcester Union Station.
As a key transportation center for the area, the station will undergo improvements to its platform, track and accessibility through 2025, including a new, high-level platform, infrastructure upgrades, accessibility improvements to the commuter parking area and new elevators, stairways and pedestrian bridges.
In addition to MBTA bus services, the Worcester Regional Transit Authority (WRTA) is a regional transit system that services Worcester and the surrounding 36 Central Mass. communities. In a holiday bulletin, the WRTA states that it will suspend fares on all fixed routes through Dec. 31. During this time, there will be no fares collected on the fixed route and paratransit services.
For more extensive travel itineraries and those headed to Boston Logal International Airport, there are plenty of limo and shuttle options to get you there, like All Point Limo (based in Millbury) and Knight’s Airport Limousine Service (based in Shrewsbury).
Holiday Entertainment During Your Visit
Worcester and the surrounding region is home to fabulous venues and must-experience seasonal tradition. Here are just a few ideas to enjoy while your visiting for the holidays:
- Enjoy an evening (or two) at The Hanover Theatre - From A Christmas Carol to The Nutcracker, A Magical Cirque Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical, The Boston Pops Holiday Tour and Sarah Brightman: A Christmas Symphony, the season is looking very bright for live entertainment in Downtown Worcester!
- Take magical winter walks - Discover both Festival of Illumination at Southwick's Zoo and NIght Lights at New England Botanic Garden at Tower Hill.
- Make an evergreen wreath - Join the Mass Audubon society on Nov 19th to make a holiday wreath.
- Deck the halls & celebrate love at the museum - Art lovers won't want to miss 'Love Stories from the National Portrait Gallery, London' at Worcester Art Museum.
- Rock into the holidays - Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the DCU Center on November 27th is sure to move everyone into the holiday spirit!
Despite the ever-changing public health landscape, it’s reassuring to know the ample transportation options in Central Mass. Strive to be as efficient and safe as possible this holiday season. Happy travels!